All I have to say about this sandwich is OMG! It is so incredibly good that my husband and I almost could not believe it. I was momentarily in shock that my kids didn’t like it, but then I said oh well – more for us! It certainly would be more convenient if they liked it too, but this is one of those things that we like so much that it’s worth it to make something different for them (like a plain grilled cheese). Don’t let us stop you from trying it on your kids though!
You can also eat this pimento cheese cold on plain bread, which is still good too. But once we discovered the cooked version (which is like a grilled cheese sandwich with a kick) we were hooked! Just imagine the soft pimento cream cheese mixture melted between two pieces of crispy bread that are grilled to perfection. Need I say more?
Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- 5 ounces organic white sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated (not the pre-grated stuff which contains an anti-caking agent)
- 4 ounces organic cream cheese, softened (I stick it in the microwave for a few seconds, after I take the metal foil off of course)
- Half of a 4 ounce jar of diced pimentos, with juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 – 2 drops of hot sauce
- Whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Butter for frying
- Blend all ingredients (down to the hot sauce) together very well with a spoon or fork.
- Can be served cold (as pictured to above) or continue with directions below for a hot sandwich.
- Melt 1 – 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan set just slightly higher than medium heat or use a griddle set at 375 degrees F.
- Just after the butter has melted (and before it turns brown) rub one side of each piece of bread in the melted butter for full coverage.
- Remove the buttered bread from the pan and spread a layer of pimento cheese onto the side of the bread that doesn’t have the melted butter on it. Top that with another piece of prepared bread (non-melted butter side facing down) to make a sandwich.
- Put sandwich back into the pan onto remaining melted butter and cook until golden brown on each side.
Yield: 5 – 6 servings